Thursday, November 20, 2008

$87.50

I got caught in a really weak moment on Saturday. I was home by myself and as I was walking by the front window, there was a lady waving into the house from the driveway. I already told you everyone watches our every move. She clearly saw me, so I had to go open the front door. (I've already been instructed by James to NEVER open the door when I'm alone, but what was I supposed to do?)

So, I went to the door and she begins this spill about how she was "your neighborhood, fresh fruit and vegetable lady. I have sweet corn, beautiful onions and potatoes, pineapple oranges, sweet grapefruits, oranges and a mix between an apple and a pear. I'd love to show you what I got, people in your new neighborhood been buying from me for years." Before I had time to think, she had cut a piece of each of the above with her dirty hands and a knife not much cleaner and they were either in my mouth or one of my two hands. I was trying so hard to hold all of it that I didn't even really know what she was saying or what was happening. I did hear that she would just love to sell me a box of my pick and "sug, I promise to fill it to the top. I'll give you the best I got."

I said, "okay, sure. I'll have a box of grapefruit."
"Well, darlin' you so sweeeet, I'll give you a box of mixed fruit and a box of mixed vegetables. You need them vegetables for Thanksgiving comin' up."
"How much is each box?"
"Only $87.50, but I fill it all the way to the top." Grapefruit juice spewed from my mouth and I think my nose too, I choked so hard.
I thought well, crap! What in the heck am I supposed to do now? $87.50 are you kidding me?

So, I did the only thing I knew to do. I told her I'd be right back and I went and wrote a check for $87.50. When I came back to the door there was some pitiful looking guy with my box of mixed fruit and vegetables and sure enough it was filled to the top.

I beat myself up all day over being "ripped off", but I wasn't ripped off. Yes, I wouldn't have spent that much for the fruits and veggies from the grocery store, but she wasn't standing on the corner begging for money. This woman was spending her day going door to door trying to make a living. Whats wrong with that?

I now know that I will probably be getting a knock on my door on a regular basis ("I'll be back right after Thanksgiving to set you up for all them fruit baskets you'll be giving away at Christmas"), but I will have a plan next time. She caught me in a weak, unprepared moment on Saturday. Next time, I'll ask her what 20 bucks can get me.

I'm not the only one who gets caught in a weak moment, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not call it a weak moment, but rather a "giving" moment. You are right, at least they were out there trying to make (maybe a lot) money, but better than waiting for a check in the mail. Besides, when you donate money to organizations, do you really know where "your" money goes? You helped somebody today. Next time, you may be prepared to help a little less, but it is still compassionate. What is life about anyway?

Sarah said...

So when do you get your plantation shutters?