Thursday, February 5, 2009

This birdie is home

So let's rewind to Tuesday night. I got home from work and checked the mail to find a manila envelope with my name on it. I didn't recognize the return name and address from Fort Worth. I opened it up to find this:

It is a postcard with a bird carrying a letter. It is postmarked February 23, 1910 and has most of the one cent stamp still in tact. The front reads,

"Here I am in Dermott, Texas
Enjoying it's sights and cheer;
Everything's great and I'm feeling first-rate,
But, O, how I wish you were here"

The note on the back is written in pencil and I can't make out most of it, but one line says,

"Gee-come out here and kill some prairie dogs and rabbits"--I thought that was funny.

I looked at it over and over and admired its absolute beauty, but was so confused as to where it had come from. I was convinced that somehow these people had seen my blog, knew my love and birds and got my address just to send this to me and make my day. It certainly made my day! So after a few moments I called Mom and explained it all to her. She didn't recognize the name, but we stayed on the phone and together tried to do some investigative work online. As much as I loved getting this mail, I was a tab bit freaked out at how a stranger knew where I lived. Then I decided to send an email out to all my family and ask if they knew them and gave them my info. While Mom and I were on the phone we found out when this couple had their first child, what his name was, what country club they were members of and that the husband was the president of some club there in 2006, which law firm the he worked for (with his picture) and a picture of the woman in their country club newsletter. Neither of us recognized either of their pictures and the confusion grew.

We had no choice but to put it to rest. I was still very confused, a bit freaked out, but very much in love with this new bird that landed in MY HANDS!! How lucky am I? I then went straight out to buy the most perfect thank you note to send to these strangers who made my day. I mean, I had to let them know how much I loved it and that this bird is now my most prized and favorite of all. And trust me, I found THE perfect card!

Later that night I got an email from my Aunt Martha that read, " A little birdie told me that they don't know you nor your family and that they have never seen your blog." I thought, Oh she knows and isn't telling me, how unfair!! So I went to bed and my mind was still going 90 miles an hour. As I was lying there unable to sleep, I figured out that somehow Martha had bought it for me and had it mailed to me. That was the only answer, but I figured she would never come out and tell me that. That would be a very typical Martha thing to do.

When checking my email on Wednesday morning, I had another email from Martha. Except that it was from my Uncle Dayne. He was the one who found it on Ebay and had it mailed to me!! He was the one who knew of my love of birds and thought of me enough to have it mailed to me. What a wonderful surprise and boy do I feel loved!

So Dayne, get ready because now you will be the recipient of THE most perfect card.

1 comments:

DayNew said...

Rachel,

I had no idea what was on the back of the card - very funny and fitting that it came, sort of, from me.

Freaked out?!?! I wonder how folks who I bought it from feel now that you and Annette are stalking them in the internet.

I am glad you like the card, and I look forward to getting one in return.

Love,
U Dayne