Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Job Fair and Service Day

James and I have had two wonderful weekends back to back, but I will just share two big events that happened last weekend.
First, on Saturday I attended my first ever Teacher Job Fair-WOW!! I was really not nervous about it even on Friday night as James and I ran through every store in the mall trying to find me a suit that would fit before everything closed (I did find one.) I wasn't even nervous going to bed the night before or as I got up at 6:30 that morning to get ready. However, I did get nervous as I drove into the parking lot and couldn't find a spot. That is when the negative thoughts began to fill my head. "Look at all these people here! They all need a job just like me. I'm not even fully qualified yet, why would anyone hire me. I may as well just go home now." I didn't though, I found a spot, walked through the painful wind, caught a bus to the right door and then waited an hour and a half just to fill out my registration. Once I got to the registration table, I was turned away. Yes, after all that, I was told I could not enter. I didn't have a document that they needed from me, even though I had brought everything that was listed on their website for the job fair. Ugh!! Enter my fabulous, heroic husband. I called him, cried a little and probably said a dirty word or two. He said, "no worries, I'll print it off and bring it right to you." And he did and I went back in and was able to pass out my resume and meet a few principles and teachers. Even though I was very discouraged when I left, I know it was good experience for me. Now, onto the next ones! I know I can do this, but your prayers during this job search would be greatly appreciated.

Now, onto the next thing. On Sunday morning our church did not have our traditional services. Instead thousands of people loaded on big, yellow school buses and headed out all over Dallas to do service projects. James and I went to South Dallas to clean an elementary school. Let me just say that I was shocked at what I saw. Shocked that children in Dallas, my city, are educated in such a dark, old, dirty, unfurnished atmosphere. Shocked and grateful for what I was given as a child. The classroom we were assigned to clean didn't even have chalk boards. Can you believe that? It was a great opportunity for James and I to get out of ourselves and our own little world. We both left feeling grateful and had a desire to do more.

Stay tuned for my April Resolution and some other fun stuff. I am finally starting to feel the blog itch returning.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, James! Did you arrive in your bat-mobile?

Two good nighttime stories for me!